Re: Help setting up external drive via Firewire

Noob Centos Admin schrieb:

The first day's transfer just completed and it took about 1hr 10 minutes for 101GB, from du -h, which I think is in terms of 1024. So that's like 24.6MB/s which admittedly appears to be around the maximum real world data transfer rate for USB 2.0. According to some reviews of this WD model, the Firewire was supposedly up to 1/3 faster (they had figures of 35MBps vs 44Mbps).

So I am hoping to see a similar speed from the Firewire here to save some 20 minutes of waiting time, a whole week's backup would be almost 2.5 hours of savings!

Going to reboot the system now with the new kernel and hopes I don't lose the NIC or something :D

The problem with Firewire is that you need
a) a "good" chip in the controller
b) a "good" chip in the Firewire-to-SATA controller in the external unit (there are no native firewire disks...)

That's what makes IEEE1394 always a bit of a gamble.

There's a reason someone came up with this eSATA stuff...

Rainer