Re: CentOS 5.2 -- how do I choose a wireless network?

Johnny Hughes wrote:
Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:
Any suggestions on how to make this work under CentOS?   I'd prefer to
have CentOS on my laptop, to keep it the same OS as our servers.    I
don't want to learn two flavors of Linux...

Thanks,
-at

It normally just works on most wireless cards (centos in general, not necessarily the live CD).

I will burn and boot the live CD on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop and see how NetworkManager works here and get back to you.

Just for the record, the LiveCD does not work with my Inspiron 6000 at all (some IDE/SATA issues when running the live CD) ... but this laptop works fine with a real install of CentOS-5.2. So, for most machines a working Live CD means CentOS should work, but not on all. Unfortunately, I can not test how NetworkManager works with this machine.

If you are installing your laptop from scratch, then I would recommend that you try installing CentOS-5.2 and see what happens.

Also, you can look in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to see if CentOS sees the wireless NIC as a network card and what driver it is trying to use ... or if you need something like external firmware, etc.

What kind of laptop is it?