Re: DKMS

on 4-5-2008 12:26 PM John spake the following:
On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 20:02 +0100, Alan Bartlett wrote:
On 05/04/2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        On the command line, if you saved the commands - or got them
        from an instructional listing in the first place, you just
        paste the same set of commands into a terminal window.

Three comments from me:

(1) Regarding what Les wrote (above), I can say that the three Wiki
"Kernel" HowTos have been written in such a way that the command lines
shown in those articles *can* be copied (from a GUI) and pasted (into
a CLI/TUI). I'm sure that same is true for many other WIki articles.

(2) We must not loose sight of what CentOS basically is. CentOS ==
RHEL less RH. A stable, server orientated OS. On the fora, we often
see evidence that CentOS is believed to be similar to *other* distros
(that are more suitable for laptops & "home" use) and that it, CentOS,
can be loaded onto typical laptops or home PCs. Then the grumbling
starts about the non-operation of a bottom-of-the-range NIC or video
controller or how multi-media doesn't work straight out of the box.
The complaints that really irritate me are those that end with
". . . . whilst 'foo' (or 'bar' or 'xyzzy' or 'y2') runs o.k. on my
hardware. So why doesn't CentOS?"

"So why doesn't CentOS?" CentOS is for High End Server Hardware. The
most attracted feature it has to a new user is "my computer has been
running for a whole week. "Stability" Windows begs for that.

The most disliked option for CentOS that I see was the option to not do
a spin of the Client, Workstation and Server versions. Ohh, how it was
so easy for me to tell a client get the Workstation version and Select
install everything. I guess the reason for doing so was not enough
resources.

Similar to other Distros: CentOS Does not even begin to compare to the
usability of Ubuntu. But what can you say? Ubuntu is backed by a Multi
Million Dollar Company.

Multimedia: I'll save that one for later. :-) I have an idea for that...

(3) The CentOS-docs list. Anne, the last item I received was dated
April 3rd.
But the last "high end servers" I bought did not have exotic and newest of the new hardware. They had fairly low end graphics with no need for 3d or even opengl support. The HP servers I have bought just worked with CentOS. Sure I could go to their website and download a driver disk, but it was not needed. CentOS even worked with the Compaq SAS raid controller.

What is probably more frustrating to newbies is their buying of a desktop board and filling it with memory and trying to call it a server. That is a big difference to actual server hardware.