Re: DKMS

Alan Bartlett wrote:

(2) We must not loose sight of what CentOS basically is. CentOS == RHEL less
RH. A stable, server orientated OS. On the fora, we often see evidence that
CentOS is believed to be similar to *other* distros (that are more suitable
for laptops & "home" use) and that it, CentOS, can be loaded onto typical
laptops or home PCs. Then the grumbling starts about the non-operation of a
bottom-of-the-range NIC or video controller or how multi-media doesn't work
straight out of the box. The complaints that really irritate me are those
that end with ". . . . whilst 'foo' (or 'bar' or 'xyzzy' or 'y2') runs o.k.
on my hardware. So why doesn't CentOS?"

This is more a symptom of the kernel age than anything else, and with the backported drivers that sometimes end up in CentOS, this is subject to change as the minor version numbers get their install images rebuilt. And with the CentOS plus kernel, this doesn't necessarily track RHEL exactly either. Is there a place to find out whether a certain piece of hardware will work that stays up to date with the updates?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx