Re: Installing Postfix/Dovecot

Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 27 March 2008 20:00:29 Giulio Troccoli wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:

Now for the mail sending.  Have you got a file called 'transport'
under /etc/postfix?  And one called transport.db?  This last one is what
tells postfix where to send things.  The transport file needs lines like

lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
.lydgate.lan	smtp:[192.168.0.40]
*	smtp:[smtp:mailhost.zen.co.uk]

where the first two lines define that anything addressed to
anyone@xxxxxxxxxxx is local, and should be delivered onto my imap server.
 The last one sends everything else to my ISP.

When they are ready, you just run 'postmap transport' and it creates the
database.
I didn't know this. I change the transport file and done 'postmap
transport'. I have also restarted postfix, just in case, but still no
joy. However, are those your settings so that I should have something like

troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
.troccoli.it      smtp:[192.168.69.25]
*      smtp:[smtp:tiscali.co.uk]

where 192.168.69.25 is the IP address of my mail server?

That should be fine.

You also need to make sure that your system knows you want to use
postfix.sendmail, instead of just sendmail.
I have previously run system-switch-mail and chose postfix.

That would make the necessary links. Now, if postfix can send your mail out, either to local or to your isp, what happens to the local mail. and how are you going to read it? In my system it is then forwarded to procmail, which sorts it into the relevant folders under dovecot's structure.

I have tried both mail and Thunderbird. mail of course doesn't work because it read from /var/spool/mail while postfix puts the email in Maildir. However I would have thought that I could download the emails with Thunderbird (on my laptop).

I hope you're not saying I have to install procmail too. I'd like to keep the system as simple as possible: postfix, dovecot, squirrelmail and majordomo (later) are enough.

Giulio