Re: Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Les Mikesell wrote:
Scott Silva wrote:

I'm fighting with samba on a new CentOS 5.1 install.

<big snip>

Thanks in advance,
-Ray
If you are going to use smb passwords anyway, why set security to "share? You should set security to "user" and make sure you keep unix users and samba users synced. For public shares you can set a shared user and group, and make shared directories keep those perms.

The problem is that all these shares are set as 'public' so you'll connect as a guest user - which I don't see defined - and unless the unix file system is writable by the guest you'll only have read access.

With user level security you can't connect to different shares as different users, so if you remove the 'public' from the home section (as you probably should) and let people connect as themselves, they will have to also connect as themselves to the public shares.

That's the clearest explaination I've sen on that subject, Les. Thank you very much!