Re: Re: new CentOS5.1, samba help requested

Scott Silva wrote:
on 3-26-2008 6:55 AM Ray Leventhal spake the following:
Hi all,

I'm fighting with samba on a new CentOS 5.1 install.

The goal here is to have unix/linux usernames/passwords used for the samba shares (which i'll setup using webmin, as I find it easy that way). At present, the home share and one for the company's public share are in place.

I can see the server, browsing from WinXP to \\172.16.0.106, but permissions seem amiss. I should be able to read/write to a given share but it seems to be ro.

Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.
<snip>

Thanks in advance,
-Ray
If you are going to use smb passwords anyway, why set security to "share?
You should set security to "user" and make sure you keep unix users and samba users synced. For public shares you can set a shared user and group, and make shared directories keep those perms.
Thank you, Scott. I'd actually done that a little while ago but hadn't returned to the list since then. Your point is well taken and also well documented (at least when I got to that part :)

Kind regards,
-Ray