Re: Re: are RPMForge and EPEL compatible?

Axel Thimm wrote:

No *technical* solution will ever solve this. Even the best package
manager in the world cooking coffee in its idle time will not solve
packagers not talking to each other and creating conflicting and
incompatible packages. And we've tried talking and coordinating, it's
the EPEL side of the world that decides to play the Highlander theme
again ("there can only be one").

But that's not the problem that needs to be solved. We want/need incompatible versions of the same things to be available in different repos and for different reasons. What's missing is a mechanism to exclude conflicting groups when updating or to permit them to co-exist in the same machine by installing under different paths.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx