Re: Login problem on CentOS 4.4 GDM

On 5/23/07, Jim Perrin <jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Shouldn't matter, but you should really *never* log into the GUI as
root for a server. I smack my junior admins around verbally when I see
this sort of thing (I should probably really stop watching reruns of
House and Scrubs...)

Technically it's not a server, but I almost never log in as root
anyway, just as a matter of habit.  This time there was no
alternative.

If you installed enough to get the gui, you
should have also gotten firstboot, which would have prompted you to
create a user. Does this user work? Did you log in with this user
before you logged in with root? (If not, can you try that?)

No and yes, in that order.

What options are you setting for these users(shell, home directory,
enabled/disabled status etc)?

Pretty much just the defaults, except that I put all the users in the
"users" group (instead of having a unique one for each).  /bin/bash,
/home/<username>, enabled...

This error should tell you that it dropped an error file. Have you
looked at the contents of this file?

I thought so too, and I looked for one, but the only error the files
in /var/log/gdm are showing are:

(WW) ATI(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0xfc000000, 0x8000000)
AUDIT: Wen May 23 18:59:25 2007: 5901 X: client 5 rejected from local host

Does that mean something (in English)?

The gui tools can sometimes hide useful errors. Can you try
adding/removing users from the cli with useradd/userdel?

These work, but the users still can't log in.

How are you looking at  /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow? If you're opening
them with an editor, you could be inadvertently changing the
permissions.

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1575 May 23 19:08 /etc/passwd
-r---------  1 root root   995 May 23 19:09 /etc/shadow

This tells you that the md5sum has changed, and that the modify time
has changed. Unless you were changing some values there, this
shouldn't be the case. I don't use the gui user applet you're refering
to, but I can't imagine that it would modify this file. At least not
for any sane reason.

My thoughts also.

I'd say try again with CLI tools to rule out any gui foolishness, and
try logging in with the user you create at firstboot rather than
logging in with root.

Tried that one, too.  No go.  I'm not sure now if I logged in as root
first or as mhr, though I can't fathom why that would make this kind
of difference.  If needed, tomorrow I can re-install one more time and
do the first login as the non-root user and see what happens.  I'm
wondering if the update to 4.5 has anything to do with this, since
that was one of the first things I did, and all this happened after
that.  Seems strange that I haven't heard of this before, though, if
that were the case.

Thanks!

--
Mark Hull-Richter