Re: Re: Suggested way to remotely monitor servers and networks these days?

On May 24, 2007, at 9:46 AM, Scott Silva wrote:

Dexter Ang spake the following on 5/23/2007 5:36 PM:
Hi folks,

I'm just wondering what is the recommended way of monitoring servers and
networks remotely. My current setup is to install and configure cacti
and nagios. I've set these up to require SSL. This way, I can easily go to them and login from wherever I am and monitor (almost) everything I
need to monitor.

The problem is that leaving cacti open was the most stupid thing I've
done. After checking /var/log/httpd/error_log, I saw that someone
exploited a cacti php file and the result was:
Have you tried something as simple as using ssh tunnels on obscure ports and
not having the tools pointed to outward facing interfaces?
You can even use putty and xming on a windows machine and get in that way. If you keep your ssh secure and even only use key based logins, you can feel
at least a little safer.

Hmmm... good idea. Maybe just tunnel through default ssh port on the server, which is already using port knocking.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and