Re: CentOS 4.4 on Thinkpad T30

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Alfred von Campe wrote:

I installed CentOS 4.4 on an old T30 I had lying around using a slightly modified kickstart file that I use to install on desktop systems. I had to manually fix the resolution for X, but everything appears to work fine out of the box otherwise. Except for two issues:

 o After a period of inactivity (> 30 minutes), the laptop
   will go to sleep and I can not wake it up other than a
   hard reset/reboot.

 o If I pull the network cable, almost every command hangs
   (this is with a local account, although the system is
   configured for NIS); if I reconnect the network, the
   hanging commands complete (I've tried running strace,
   but that hangs as well).

Regardless of whether the current account is local or not, most authorization routines will want access to the entire passwd and group databases.

You can try using nscd with obscenely long cache times, or you can make your machine an NIS slave server, or you can make all accounts local.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> http://www.madboa.com/