CentOS 4.4 on Thinkpad T30

I installed CentOS 4.4 on an old T30 I had lying around using a slightly modified kickstart file that I use to install on desktop systems. I had to manually fix the resolution for X, but everything appears to work fine out of the box otherwise. Except for two issues:

  o After a period of inactivity (> 30 minutes), the laptop
    will go to sleep and I can not wake it up other than a
    hard reset/reboot.
  o If I pull the network cable, almost every command hangs
    (this is with a local account, although the system is
    configured for NIS); if I reconnect the network, the
    hanging commands complete (I've tried running strace,
    but that hangs as well).

I think the second issue also happens on my desktop systems, so it's not related to the laptop itself, but it is more likely that a laptop be used off the network.

Any suggestions?

Alfred