Re: Re: Anaconda doesn't support raid10

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
John R Pierce wrote:

Yes, if two disks belonging to the same mirror go down, I lose my data. But if two disks which are not from the same mirror go down, I would like to be able to boot up without any problems. And as someone else mentioned, what else am I going to do with those 200mb? I'd rather maintain symmetry and not have to worry which disks /boot is on, as I'll know that if the data drive survives, then I won't have any problems with the boot drive either.

so, is your / on a 4 spindle mirror too?

N-way mirrors require every write to be done N times.

No, / is on a 2 raid 1 arrays which are striped using LVM. And the N times write penalty doesn't really apply to boot, since it rarely gets written to.

so, if the LVM is built from the 2 raid1 sets md1 and md2, and both drives of md1 are down, its down. ditto if both drives of md2 are down. so why not just put the /boot on the same spindles as md1 ?

btw, LVM isn't really striping, its more like globbing. or scattering.