Re: Re: Raid5 issues

Scott Silva wrote:
Ruslan Sivak spake the following on 5/7/2007 9:49 AM:
Scott Silva wrote:
Ruslan Sivak spake the following on 5/5/2007 9:16 AM:
William Warren wrote:
rus,

This is critical

turn off the raid functions of your bios.  You must do this or the
fakeraid of the bios WILL interfere with md's ability to perform.
Then try building the md raid.

William,

This might be a bit of a problem.  The computer is quite old, and I had
to get a raid card just to be able to connect sata drives to it.  The
bios boot order only lists the cdrom (I can't even get it to boot from
floppy).  The only way I can get it to boot off these hard drives is if
I have them in some sort of raid set up through the card's bios (even
concatenation works).  Unfortunatelly, with concatenation, if 1 drive
dies, I am forced to recreate the array, which kills things.
I think I need to use the fakeraid driver.  It keeps popping up anyway
with weird error messages.  For example, when there is no raid set up, I
keep getting something like this:

Error adding sda to set silxxxxxxx: Raid type 234 is not supported.
(This is from memory, so probably not exactly correct).
I tried updating the bios, but I can't even seem to do that.  It won't
boot off the floppy, and when I boot of any dos based cdrom, I can't see
the floppy.  (I have external usb floppy.  The internal one doesn't seem
to work).
Russ
Can you add each drive as a separate stripe?
IE.. 4 drives, 4 arrays, 1 drive per array. I had to do that with an old
promise card I used as a controller.

William,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I actually though of the same thing this
morning, and added the first drive to it's own (concatenated) array. That seemed to work and allow it to boot. I still can't get raid10 to
work, but I'll start a new thread on that.

Russ
I don't think you will get raid 10 out of the anaconda installer. I don't
think it is supported yet. So even if the raid 10 driver is in the installer's
initrd, you probably will not get a raid 10 from anaconda.

This is what I've found as well. Would the solution be to make a raid5 (or 6) partition for / about 10GB and then once booted, set up the raid10 partition manually?
How would I go about auto mounting it as /data or something like that?

Russ