Re: Re: Raid5 issues

Toby Bluhm wrote:
IIRC you had two out of four new disks die? So maybe it would be more accurate to say it's your hardware you don't trust. Raid5 is used without problems by ( I assume ) many, many people, myself included. You could have a raid10 and still lose the whole array if two disks that in the same mirror die at once. I guess no software in the world can really overcome bad hardware. That's why we do backups :)

Anyway, perhaps excersizing /stressing the disks for a few days without error would make you feel more confident about the HDs.

I believe I replied to this, but not sure why it didn't show up. Here it is again:

Actually, 2 disks did not die. Due to the fact that it was a new raid 5 array (or for whatever reason), it was rebuilding the array. One of the drives had a media error, and this caused the whole array to be lost.
This is exactly what this article warns about:

http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/RAID5_versus_RAID10.txt

Russ