Re: Re: Raid5 issues

Feizhou wrote:

I do have a SIL3114 chipset, and I think it's supposed to be supported by device mapper. When I go to rescue mode, I see it loading the driver for SIL3112, but nothing appears under /dev/mapper except control. Are there instructions somewhere on getting it to use my controller's raid?

Your controller only has a bios chip. It has no raid processing capability at all.

You need to use mdadm. anaconda should be able to let you create to mirrors and then create a third array that stripes those md devices,
Anaconda doesn't let me create a stripe raid set on top of a mirror set. And it doesn't detect it when I do it manually. Also the bios chip presents additional issues. I believe when I don't have a raid array set up, it won't boot at all. When I have it on raid10, I had trouble booting, and when I have it on concatenation, everything works fine, until a drive is replaced. At that point, i have to recreate the array, as concatenation is not a fault tolerant set, and at this point I seem to lose all my data. Is there a way to get it to use the raid that's part of the bios chip? Something about device mapper?

Russ