Re: Re: Raid5 issues

Error adding sda to set silxxxxxxx: Raid type 234 is not supported. (This is from memory, so probably not exactly correct). I tried updating the bios, but I can't even seem to do that. It won't boot off the floppy, and when I boot of any dos based cdrom, I can't see the floppy. (I have external usb floppy. The internal one doesn't seem to work).

1) Blow away the RAID array in the bios of the raid card. 2) Reinstall and make sure you have /boot on its own raid1'ed partitions under the 1024 cylinder limit since you have an old box. 3) If the motherboard bios don't give you a boot off board disk controller option. then make yourself a grub floppy to handle the kernel and initrd image loading. This is just a grub floppy. no kernel, no initrd image will stored on the floppy. Its sole purpose is to provide you a way to load the kernel and its initrd image from disk.

You will never be able to boot of a fakeraid from a normal installation procedure. If you are dead set on doing that, you have to get the dmraid driver loaded during the installation process and the grub installation must be done to the dm device. Another thing is, the dmraid driver in raid 1 does not support failover when a disk dies, it only knows mirroring. Have fun.