Re: Centos 5

Feizhou wrote:

I first used debian@ on the taroon beta:-) It doesn't get a lot of spam, so I keep using it.

:O. A SIX CHARACTER username addy not getting spam? I have a SEVEN character username addy and I get loads.

Try it.

Oh, having an email address dedicated to mailing lists helps. filtering on list-id helps: stuff that lands in INBOX is immediately suspect, and PINE is really good for cleaning out unwanted email without opening it. Probably MUTT is too, but I reckon it's a dog.

btw
I've had a great idea to completely kill off spammers, and twits who reply off-list, and I intend to implement it when I move to somewhere I can have ADSL.

It's simple: email addresses for use on lists will only be accessible to servers hosting those lists. For example, I would have one or more addresses at my.lists.example.com and I will write DNAT rules (using shorewall) to forward connexions from mail.centos.org and some other select sites to the box that hosts those addresses. Anyone else would connect to mail.example.com which doesn't know those addresses, so they will get the usual 5xx errors.
A DNAT rule in shorewall looks like this:
DNAT            net     loc:192.168.1.252       tcp     25
and I can restrict it by source address.

Spammers beaten.

--

Cheers
John