Re: Re: software raid

Cen Tos wrote:
On 3/31/07, Scott Silva <ssilva@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It is the breaking of electrical connections that it trips on. Even if a
drive
fails, it is still commected, and the system can ignore it. AFAIR you
can't
hot swap a regular SCSI drive either.

Does this mean I cannot hotswap a SATA drive in a software RAID array even
if I have it in a hotswap bay with a SATA hotswap backplane?

Software raid has mdadm commands to fail/remove/add partitions, so it is up to the hardware to be able recognize the new working drive. There are scsi-specific commands to remove and re-detect drives and firewire/usb normally do it automatically (but not always the way you expect). I'm not sure how SATA fits into this picture. If the service is so critical that you can't run on the single mirror until a convenient time to swap with a reboot you might want a hot spare so you don't have worry about getting a new drive recognized with the machine running. Even if you didn't dedicate it to an array, if the spare drive is in the machine you can easily partition it to match and add it with a few commands.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx