Re: Wait for 5 or just use 4.4?

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

 My sense of adventure is fed enough by my self rolled packages on
 these servers, specially some including some patches made by
 myself :)

Mine is getting java and maybe tomcat to run. Is there any reason to think that will be easier this time around? Is there a way to just remove all the non-Sun attempts to second-guess things and those alternatives symlinks and get the real things in your normal PATH?

I've completely punted with Tomcat. I just make a /opt/tomcat tree, shove both Sun's JRE and Apache's Tomcat in there, create a custom /etc/init.d/tomcat script, and call it good. I keep a tarball of the tree and all relevant configs on a network drive, available for kickstart %post installation. Getting the gcj-compiled version of Tomcat to work with Java keystores was an exercise in futility.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> www.madboa.com