Re: Wait for 5 or just use 4.4?

Paul Heinlein wrote:
On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

I've completely punted with Tomcat. I just make a /opt/tomcat tree, shove both Sun's JRE and Apache's Tomcat in there, create a custom /etc/init.d/tomcat script, and call it good. I keep a tarball of the tree and all relevant configs on a network drive, available for kickstart %post installation. Getting the gcj-compiled version of Tomcat to work with Java keystores was an exercise in futility.

I've been playing with java a little on my laptop, I have some code I wrote when java 1.1 was current and I used to compile with Jikes.

I discovered generics (opensuse ships Sun's JDE 1.5), and thought I'd try the code on a Debian box to see whether there's a realistic alternative to Sun/IBM Java.

If there is, Debian hasn't found it. gcj doesn't do generics, and I'm not going back. Nore does it recognise '-cp.'

Jikes/sable-vm doesn't match up either.

--

Cheers
John