Re: xeon quad core?

Can anyone share their experience with installing RHEL / Centos
(latest production release) on the Dell 2950 (or 2900) with the
quad-core e5310 processor?  Does anyone know what chipset Dell is
using on this box?

I've got one on the way, and I'm hoping to use centos as the 'host' OS
for several virtual machines (some of them Windows pigs), running
vmware server.

I'm not 100% sure, but that looks a lot like the 2 2900's I just fired up.

For various reasons, I don't have access to dmesg on either of them at
the moment, but I will say that CentOS 4.4 x86_64 runs well on them,
and my dual Xeon boxes show in top as having 8 cpu's (0-7).

I'm only running 6GB RAM on one of them, and 2GB on the other, but the
PERC 5/i in RAID 1 or the beefier PERC controller in full RAID 10 with 8
300GB SAS drives works like a champ with CentOS. Nothing more complicated to do than set partitions, passwords, and distribution
options during installation, and you don't even have to do all that..

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at infostreet dot com>

http://www.infostreet.com

"The only true sports are bullfighting, mountain climbing and auto racing." -Earnest Hemingway

"Because everything else requires only one ball." -Unknown

"Do you wanna go fast or suck?" -Mike Kojima

"There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love." -Sir Stirling Moss