Re: slow system

Craig White wrote:
great thanks - am I right in thinking that having both mirrored drives
on the same controller master/slave is likely a cause of slowness?
It will make some difference on writes, but reads should only
be done on one of the drives anyway.  I doubt if it makes a huge
difference unless you have an application writing all the time.
----
here's my problem - system was ok and mother board died. Purchased a new
motherboard and this is what I get...

# hdparm -t /dev/md1

/dev/md1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:    4 MB in  3.68 seconds =   1.09 MB/sec

which is dreadfully slow

That's worse than slow.  Something is broken.  Do the drives perform
better if you test /dev/hda or /dev/hdb?   What does dmesg say
about them - does it mention UDMA(100) or better?  Are you using
a new-style 80-wire cable?  It might be worth buying an IDE
controller card if the on-board one won't do better than that.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx