Re: [CentOS] /var goes read-only

Thanks, that is what we were thinking was happening. Smartd will not start at boot,  it parses the config file just fine and then fails.

Thanks for all your help!

On 12/1/06, Alfred von Campe <alfred@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Dec 1, 2006, at 16:07, Joshua Gimer wrote:

> This is an issue that I have been having with one of our production
> servers for a couple of months, just out of no where /var goes to
> read only.

Maybe the disk is going bad.  I had the same (or similar) thing
happen to me with the root partition, which in my case also contains
the /var partition.  It turned out to be a disk going bad.  Check the
archives of this mailing list for a thread titled "EXT3-fs error
(devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted" earlier this
year.  Run smarctl on the drive with the /var partition if it
supports it.

Alfred

Thx
Joshua Gimer