Re: [CentOS] /var goes read-only

On Dec 1, 2006, at 16:07, Joshua Gimer wrote:

This is an issue that I have been having with one of our production servers for a couple of months, just out of no where /var goes to read only.

Maybe the disk is going bad. I had the same (or similar) thing happen to me with the root partition, which in my case also contains the /var partition. It turned out to be a disk going bad. Check the archives of this mailing list for a thread titled "EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted" earlier this year. Run smarctl on the drive with the /var partition if it supports it.

Alfred