Re: [CentOS] Proper partition/LVM growth after RAID migration

William L. Maltby wrote:

It used to be possible to get the partition table re-read with

    sfdisk -R /dev/XXX

Still can do?

Hmm, didn't try that. I did do a "blockdev --rereadpt /dev/XXX", which purports to do the same thing, but that didn't work either. Even though I had disabled the VG, something was still looking at it.

AHEM! Inelegant? In the eye of the beholder! I *prefer* multiple
partitions because of the flexibility it gives. I keep vg sizes closer
to the anticipated max and then allocate more temporarily or permanently
as needed. This is useful for snapshot volumes too as you can "cross
snapshot" by putting the snapshot on a different physical unit.

Point taken, but in this case the SAN admin extended an existing volume rather than giving me a new one. I thought adding the "new" space to the volume as a separate physical volume would have been sub-optimal, like using two PVs on the same physical disk in the same volume group. Just my reasoning, but I've been wrong before!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey@xxxxxxxxxxxx