Re: [CentOS] Proper partition/LVM growth after RAID migration

I did a RAID migration on a 3Ware 9590SE-12, so that an exported disk
grew from 700GB to 1400GB. The exported disk is managed by LVM. The
problem now is that I don't really know what to do now to let LVM and
my locigal volume to make use of this new disk size, and probably
future disk size growth.

I've been doing this recently with VMWare ESX server. To save space, I create base disk images of clean OS installs on a minimalistic sized disk. If I need space, I use tools from VMWare to make the virtual disk bigger, and then grow the bits inside Linux with LVM.

I used the following two documents for info:
http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/Expanding_Linux_Partitions_with_LVM
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/LVM2

In my case, I was growing the root filesystem, so I needed to boot into something like Knoppix (hence the 2nd link above).

To summarize the links...(usual caveats, backup data, etc, etc)
-Create  a new partition of type 8e (Linux LVM) on the new empty space.

-Add that pv to LVM
If the new partition is /dev/sda3, then this would look like
pvcreate /dev/sda3

-Extend the volume group that contains the logical volume you want to add this space to
If the the VG is VolGroup00 then
vgextend VolGroup00 /dev/sda3

-Here I usually run vgdisplay, and get the amount of free disk space that now exists. (Look for the line that says Free PE / Size) If the Free PE / Size says there are 2.2GB free and the LV is LogVol00 you could do
lvextend -L+2.2G /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

-Extend the filesystem. For ext2/ext3, use resize2fs (you may want to fsck before this, this is with the filesystem unmounted)
 resize2fs /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

-Fsck
e2fsck -fy /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 (you may now want to use -y)

The trick I had when doing this in Knoppix for existing LVMs was after fdisk'ing to run vgscan; vgchange -a y to get the existing LVM partitions recognized and /dev entries created.

-Shawn