Re: [CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Alfred von Campe wrote:
the CentOS smartctl _does_ work (for me at least) with SATA disks if you use the "-d ata" option. So please try
smartctl -d ata -a /dev/sda

I was able to run this command and the output is attached. Does anything there point to a disk HW failure? I still think that I'm just suffering from file system corruption.

You can run a long test with
smartctl -d ata -t long /dev/sda

I just started this now, and it told me to wait for 70 minutes for the test to complete. How do I check its results?

BTW, I was able to mount the LVM partition and copy some critical files (see my next email). After I did that I first tried to run the long test and got a kernel panic. But that was after getting a bunch of errors when accessing the drive.

Alfred

This disk is bad, as can be seen from

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 253 253 063 Pre-fail Always - 1 197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0008 252 252 000 Old_age Offline - 16 198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0008 243 243 000 Old_age Offline - 10

These errors (partilculary those indicated by the last 2 lines) are definitely responsible for the messages in the logs, the filesystem corruption, and data loss.

There are Maxtor tools (at their webpage) to re-initialize the disk, and if you're lucky, the disk will be good the next 10 years. But the errors might as well show up again soon. So I'd return the disk if the data on the disk are important to you.

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda gives you all the info, including the info on the progress of the selftest.

HTH,

Kay