Re: [CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

On Jun 2, 2006, at 6:57, Johnny Hughes wrote:

Smartd doesn't work on many SATA drives ... the libata was written for
pata, and it sometimes causes issues.

I disabled smartd.

If you are not using RAID, you can remove the dmraid package.  Yes,
sometimes it can cause issues even if you are not using RAID.

I removed the dmraid RPM and I replaced the SATA cable as suggested in another reply, but the problem still persists. Every 2-3 days I get the error in the subject line, and I have to reboot the system. I suspect a HW problem, but I've replaced the disk already, and I don't know what else to try. There is nothing in /var/log/messages that looks suspicious (actually, there is literally nothing in /var/ log/messages since Tuesday night until the reboot this morning). That makes sense, if the file system is getting corrupted, it can't write errors to a log file. Any ideas what I can do next to debug this problem?

Alfred