Re: [CentOS] EXT3-fs error (devive dm-0) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

On Aug 2, 2006, at 11:12, Matty wrote:

I would also recommend running a long SMART self-test on the drive. If you capture the SMART attributes before and after the test, it is actually pretty easy to locate the source of the problem (e.g., host controller vs disk disk vs. bad sector ) by comparing the SMART attributes that were captured. If you want additional details, check out the following article:

Thanks for the URL. I'd love to run a SMART analysis, but apparently smartctl doesn't support SATA drives. At least the version that comes with CentOS doesn't (I haven't tried to rebuild it from sources - yet)!

I tried accessing the drive from the CentOS LiveCD, and wasn't successful. There are two partitions on the drive, one for /boot, and the rest of the disk is managed by LVM. I was able to mount the / boot partition, but I couldn't read the grub directory due to apparent corruption (that's a bad sign right there). But maybe I can recover some of the data from the rest of the disk. How do I mount the logical partitions managed by LVM from the command line? I haven't had a chance to google for this/read the man page, so if someone has a quick synopsis handy, I would really appreciate it.

Alfred