Re: [CentOS] Inherited an everything box

<snip>

Hi -

I've seen this in the past, and I was fortunate enough for the person to have used the 'yum group*' commands.

You might be able to get rid of software groups which might contain these pieces of software. Looking for the group* commands associated with Yum, and you might get lucky, in the same manner that I did.

Thanks!
-dant
</snip>

Thanks Dan:

I thought the group commands were what I was looking for but unfortunately even though yum list the various groups:

[root@xxxxx~]# yum grouplist
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
Installed Groups:
  Administration Tools
  Compatibility Arch Support
  DNS Name Server
  Editors
  Engineering and Scientific
  GNOME Desktop Environment
  Games and Entertainment
  Graphical Internet
  KDE (K Desktop Environment)
  Legacy Network Server
  Mail Server
  MySQL Database
  Network Servers
  News Server
  PostgreSQL Database
  Printing Support
  Server Configuration Tools
  Sound and Video
  System Tools
  Text-based Internet
  Web Server
  Windows File Server
  X Software Development
  X Window System
Available Groups:
  Authoring and Publishing
  Compatibility Arch Development Support
  Development Tools
  FTP Server
  GNOME Software Development
  Graphics
  Horde-Apps
  KDE Software Development
  Legacy Software Development
  Office/Productivity
  XFCE-4.2
  drbd-heartbeat
Done

It doesn't allow for the removal of those groups:

[root@xxxxx ~]# yum groupremove Engineering Scientific
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
Warning: Group Engineering does not exist.
Warning: Group Scientific does not exist.
No packages to remove from groups

Thoughts?