Re: Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

On 2023-07-25 12:18, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> said:
If Red Hat were doing development in RHEL minor releases that wasn't
published elsewhere, I would probably have a different view of
thing, but they aren't.  There's nothing there that isn't published
elsewhere.
This will not be the case for the second half of a RHEL major release
life cycle, because the corresponding Stream will be EOL and no longer
updated.

As best I understand Red Hat's "upstream first" policy: every patch applied to RHEL X.10 will either be a patch that they import from an upstream project, or (for patches that Red Hat develops) will be offered to the upstream project.  They're not held in reserve for RHEL customers exclusively.

So, they may not appear in the Stream git repo, but the patches are still publicly available through other channels.

If anyone has examples of this not happening, then we can talk about whether the process is working as intended, and what that means.