Re: Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

On Mon, Jul 24, 2023 at 10:13 AM Gordon Messmer
<gordon.messmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2023-07-22 09:55, frank saporito wrote:
> > On 7/22/23 02:29, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> >> From my point of view, Red Hat doesn't really sell software. They
> >> give away software.  All of their software is available at no charge,
> >> typically in an unbranded release.  What Red Hat sells is support.
> >
> > Does Red Hat give away software anymore?
>

> Yes?  I'm not aware of any Red Hat software that isn't Free Software.
>

> > I am confused.  Last month Red Hat announced that the source code
> > would not be published.
>

> That's not what they announced.  The major-release branch of RHEL's
> source code is still published to the CentOS Stream git repos.
>
> I think it's important to point out that Red Hat never published *all*
> of RHEL's package source code.  For the first six months of any release
> of RHEL, they would publish de-branded source by essentially taking one
> artifact from each build (the src.rpm), unpacking that in a git
> repository, removing the primary source code archive, debranding what
> was left, committing all of that, and then pushing the result.  It was
> basically git as a fancy FTP.
>
> They've stopped doing that, in favor of publishing the major-release
> branch of the git repos for the entire primary support lifecycle of the
> major release.
>

> > The spirit of GPL was meant to force sharing and prevent the
> > commercialization of the volunteer work of many.
>

> It definitely wasn't.  GPL software can't be made closed-source.
> Customers have to receive the source code (or an offer for it), and they
> have the rights that the license guarantees.  But GPL software can
> definitely be commercialized.

 Eh your keep dancing around and trying to spin what they did with the
source and their intent. RHEL is for all intents and purposes trying
to restrict the source code with EULA's/Licensing restrictions, you
still have access to the source for paying customers but if you use it
for a purpose that they disagree with *cough* rebuild, then they can
terminate your account. I can list article after article clearly
stating that is what they are doing -

https://www.itpro.com/software/open-source/what-red-hats-source-code-restrictions-mean-for-businesses
https://www.theregister.com/2023/06/23/red_hat_centos_move/
on and on...

again its a d1ck move IMHO, clearly you do not see the it that way but
let there be no mistake what Red Hats intentions are at all....they no
longer want anyone to be rebuilding their software and distributing
it, ya know they need the money, lol....