Re: Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

On 7/21/2023 1:57 AM, Ian B wrote:
We just have 5 servers, and don't want any personal support. We'd be fine
to pay what we'd consider a reasonable fee I think. I contacted Redhat to
ask about their licensing and if we could fit somehow into it (i.e the
personal support & 16 machine type license), but they could never give us a
straight answer, so the implication was we couldn't be certain we weren't
breaking any t&cs. I also thought maybe they'd make an offer or something,
but never did. The costs are just too high for some people for what they
are offering.

I have about the same number of CentOS 7 servers and have never felt the need to call RH for help. At most, I'd check online for a solution and find it's maybe behind RH's paywall. If anything, I work the problem on my own (maybe using a specific package's own support list) and supply the fix to Bugzilla (as well as upstream). Now I'm feeling reluctant to do that.