Re: Network services start before network is up since migrating to 7.2

On 12/22/2015 1:27 PM, m.roth@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I beg your pardon. What*possible*  reason is there for a server,
hardwired, to "announce" itself to anything, other than DHCP? Everywhere
I've worked, and what I know, is that servers are assigned IP addresses,
they don't just take whatever's offered, willy-nilly. And if they do... I
do*not*  want to work there. That's not only unprofessional, it's an
insane security risk. Suppose someone puts their laptop on the intranet,
and has*it*  running a DHCP server?

You do know there's more to life than static IP webapp servers, right?

how about a internal media server cluster being used in a professional video editing environment with workstations running various sorts of editing software, monitors doing streaming playback and such ? that world relies heavily on uPnP, BonJour, etc.

My development lab environment, most of my servers (75% VMs) are DHCP configured (using static and/or long lease time reservations), which makes doing PXE and such much easier. A foreign DHCP server would quickly be detected by the corporate IDS and cut off the network.