[Centos] QEMU question

Matt Lawrence wrote:

> Ok, now that I have WiFi working thank to the folks on this list, my
> next challenge is to get qemu working.  I've already installed the qemu
> package from the dag repository (the accellerator will be a future
> project) and now I'm wondering if I can run the existing XP partition
> (hda1) using qemu.  If so, then I can go to running Linux, specifically
> CentOS4, full time.

Qemu emulates entire PC.  So whatever you give it as "disk image" must
contain MBR.  My guess is specifying WinXP partition isn't going to work
(it is partition, not disk).  Now, specifying actual disk (/dev/hda or
something similar) *might* work, but on the other hand qemu (and Windows
XP) will have access to your entire disk.  Which might *trash* your
data.  Make sure you do not have anything Linux and XP can read/write to
accessible to both of them (for example, partition where Win XP is).  If
both of them try to write to it, it will trash the partition for sure.

Plus, if you give actuall disk as parameter to qemu, and it boots Linux
from it instead of WinXP (for example, WinXP reboots for whatever
reason, and your lilo or grub configuration boots Linux by default), you
can probably say bye-bye to your data and reinstall...

All in all, very tricky and dangerous.

--
Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic@xxxxxx>    Pollard Banknote Limited