[Centos] swap out mainboard

---------- Original Message -----------
From: "Corey" <corey_s@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "CentOS discussion and information list" <centos@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:01:12 +0000
Subject: [Centos] swap out mainboard

> Hello!
>
> How robust is linux when it comes to changing the motherboard on an
> existing
> ( installed ) box?

Any OS is going to have a hard time with such a swap. I haven't done this
specifically, but I can say maintaining your config and user-base is pretty
easy. Backup the system. Especially all your configs (tar up /etc for sure).
You can take a fresh install, add your /home and your /etc/passwd and
/etc/shadow files, /var/spool/mail and basically come up with all users in tact.

It's worth a try to:
Backup
Install the MB
Boot
You might get lucky. If not, you have your configs. Reinstall, patch, update,
blow your configs back in and you should be good.

--
<<JAV>>