root@localhost email problem

Am Di, den 05.07.2005 schrieb Melinda Odom um 3:35:

> I have another problem with the email root@localhost not working now on
> centos 3.5 with plesk.

That is no public valid email address.

> This has always worked in the past.  Anytime I test my ecommerce store the
> default email address has been root@localhost and has sent an email to my
> domain email address when testing.  Just recently this has stopped working.
> The ecommerce store is php.  I contacted the ecommerce store developer and
> root@localhost works for him and he is hosting at Pair Networks.

You should not mail as root! Even not for testing purposes, as root acts
different than other mortal users.

> This is a reply from plesk about cgi recently on my cgi forms that were
> working, stopped working, and somehow started working again without anyone
> finding the problem:
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>
> "Actually root@localhost shouldn't work at all. The point is that qmail
> unlike sendmail is unable to pass messages via the system mail delivery into
> the /var/spool/mail/username file. It works only via SMTP. Please use an
> actual mail address in your cgi scripts."

So you are running qmail if I interpret the helpdesk reply correctly?

> Since the ecommerce store is php and root@localhost has been working for
> months is there someplace I can look to try to find the problem?

Why at all do you send with root@localhost? The PHP application is very
very hopefully not running with root's permissions!
Or do you intend to send to root@localhost? There would be no reason to
do so. Like the helpdesk says, use a valid user address in your scripts.

> Melinda Odom

Alexander

Serendipity 11:16:39 up 9 days, 18:08, load average: 0.13, 0.16, 0.14