root@localhost email problem

I have another problem with the email root@localhost not working now on
centos 3.5 with plesk.

This has always worked in the past.  Anytime I test my ecommerce store the
default email address has been root@localhost and has sent an email to my
domain email address when testing.  Just recently this has stopped working.
The ecommerce store is php.  I contacted the ecommerce store developer and
root@localhost works for him and he is hosting at Pair Networks.

This is a reply from plesk about cgi recently on my cgi forms that were
working, stopped working, and somehow started working again without anyone
finding the problem:

"Actually root@localhost shouldn't work at all. The point is that qmail
unlike sendmail is unable to pass messages via the system mail delivery into
the /var/spool/mail/username file. It works only via SMTP. Please use an
actual mail address in your cgi scripts."

Since the ecommerce store is php and root@localhost has been working for
months is there someplace I can look to try to find the problem?

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Melinda Odom
www.designhosting.biz