Re: Beta CentOS 7 Xen packages available

On 09/08/2015 01:02 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 11:02 PM, T.Weyergraf <T.Weyergraf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

First of all, I fully agree, that forked repos are undesirable. However, to
the casual observer (like me), there are hardly any ressources for Xen on
CentOS 7. There are some beta packages, as announced in the start if this
thread, with the latest update being 4.4.2 on 4th of august. I have not yet
found any git repo to check out the current Xen 4 CentOS 7 development
effort - only the source rpms to the above packages could be used. Likewise,
the response on the list on the announcements of the Xen on CentOS 7 beta
packages was kind of mute and no further updates were given. This led me to
the - apparently false - assumption, that the project kind of fell asleep.
I'd be more than happy to at least test development packages and give
feedback.

Your statement "These RPMs are produced by Citrix, so we need to get the
right" irritates me, as I was completely unaware of any "rights" from Citrix
to be waited for.

Anyway, I will wait for the official Xen4CentOS packages for CentOS 7 and
keep my stuff out of the public to avoid useless forks.
See my comments inline as appropriate
So actually, the SIGs are supposed to be community efforts -- and my
long term hope was that once the SIG was "jump-started", that
community members would step up to take over -- or at least step up to
help significantly.
Cool. Good to know. Well, while I have been using CentOS for several years now in both private and professional setups, I have to admit, that so far I did not delve into the community itself and make myself familiar with its processes and procedures.
It might be time to change that :)

A number of reasons C7 has "stalled":

* Lack of time on my part. I only work 4 days a week for Citrix, and I
have significant other duties.  Normally I can only spend a day or so
a week on CentOS stuff; and in particular, the review load relating to
the 4.6 feature freeze (beginning of July) was very high.  Then I got
married and went on holiday for 3 weeks in August, which also didn't
help. :-)
Well, first of all congrats to your recent marriage! I know what your were up to lately, as I did the same some 6+ years ago. And much like you, I have to dedicate my personal free-time to any effort. On the plus side, I am a sysadmin actually using Xen4CentOS on top of CentOS 6 in a professional production environment, spanning 50 virtualisation hosts and running over 600 VMs (over 1,500 pCPUs over 10Tbytes RAM). So I get pretty much of an impression, what it means to actually use Xen4CentOS.

* Apparent lack of testing by the community. About a month after the
C7 "beta", I was about to announce an actual release, when I happened
to discover that HVM guests wouldn't boot -- not under any
configuration.  This is really basic core functionality that nobody at
all had tested (or if they had they hadn't complained).  This
convinced me that I couldn't rely on community testing, and prompted
me to spend some time writing an automated test suite that would at
least do a basic smoke-test for a number of configurations.  I've got
this working for the core xen package, but I was planning on extending
it to libvirt before declaring CentOS 7 "ready".
You already found out in another post, that I actually did test the CentOS 7 packages early in july and reported to the list. That lack of any response on my report triggered me to do Xen 4 on CentOS7 packages myself.

I'm sorry I haven't been very pro-active about pushing to the xen
package repository -- I didn't know anyone was looking.  (If you asked
about it, then I must have missed it.)
See above.

I would be happy to have help improving the packages.  I would be
*very* happy to have help maintaining the Xen4CentOS packages, and I
would be *delighted* if someone wanted to take over maintainership of
the packages entirely.
Well, I'd be happy to help. I can easily test things out on my private setup, which is all geared towards Xen and virtualisation anyway, so I am all setup. To actually contribute, I would ideally like some git-repo to checkout, to prep patches against. Those patches, I could send to you for review. If there is some process aligned to "the CentOS way of doing things", I would need a pointer to some docs to make myself familiar with. As I have not the faintest clue about what it takes to actually maintain a package, i am - at least now - the inappropriate person.

FYI I have just finished rebasing things to 4.6-rc2 (there are
packages in virt7-xen-46-candidate now), and am in the process of
switching things over to systemd.
Yeah, saw that yesterday in the repo. Ok then, I will fetch it soon and start testing it in one of my CentOS-7 Xen guests (I run nested-Xen). If that test succeeds, I could update the host. That way, these packages would get some real-world test, running my zoo of guests.
Oviously, I'll report my findings.
I would propose to see, if that yields anything useful to the development of the Xen4CentOS 7 packages. To actually look into code, I'll fetch the source-packages of that repo.

The Virt SIG has IRC meetings on freenode channel #centos-devel every
two weeks -- the next one is today (8 September) at 2pm BST (3pm UTC).
If anyone wants to help contribute / see what the status of Xen4CentOS
is, feel free to pop in.
I popped in late, close to closure of the meeting. I resorted to readonly, as I wanted to grasp the "style" and scope of the things communicated. Unfortunately, being located in Germany means, that this time collides with my work-hours and if I can allocate some time to attend remains to be seen.

  -George