Re: [CentOS-devel] Authorization to use CentOS logo in GNOME Boxes

On 09/19/2018 03:35 AM, Pablo Sebastián Greco wrote:
> From someone who doesn't know anything about design/legal, what is the
> difference between this instance and what was done in point 7.3 of the
> link (7.3. For special sub-projects)?

Essentially similar, in that specific permission was granted and a
specific logo was prepared.  In this case, the permission has been
requested and there is not a corresponding logo prepared on the ArtWork
page.

> BTW, that is the logo only;

There are two aspects here:

1. Should the project allow for the graphical logo to be used without
the wordmark?

2. If yes to 1, the project should adjust one or both guidelines to make
it explicit what can and cannot be done.

For #1 it may be that we want to do so for various cases, but there may
be reasons and risks we are not aware of in using the logo stand-alone
in various situations.  For this I am seeking expert advice.

As it happens, the trademark guidelines do allow for some uses of just
the logo, point 5 here:

https://www.centos.org/legal/trademarks/#acceptable-uses

But there is not a corresponding graphic and how-to on the ArtWork page.

What I want to do is i) as quickly as we can resolve the question of
permission for GNOME so they can move on with their development, and ii)
fix any actual or perceived inconsistencies between the trademark
guidelines and the logo usage guidelines.

Best regards,

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade | Community Architect | @quaid