Info on open source CGL4.0

Hi Florian,

[Info on open source CGL4.0] On 27/01/2010 (Wed 15:38) Florian Heigl wrote:

> all CGL compliance efforts by pure OSS distros have silently died a
> few years ago, both because it is a quite challenging task to
> undertake and maybe also due to some discouraging / inpolite posts on
> here.

I've only been involved with CGL since 2005/2006, but I hope that during
that time nothing I've sent to the lists or to anyone who posted to the
lists has been impolite or discouraging.  Personally I'd love to see
lots of entries in the Registered Distributions list, both free and
commercial (though obviously I'm somewhat biased toward one commercial
distro in particular ;-)).

It's true that right now there are no pure open distributions
registered, but our policies (by 'our' I mean the CGL workgroup) ensure
that we don't create any technical barriers for a completely free
distribution from registering.  Indeed, at least one of the CGL tech
board is a Debian developer and while Debian is not registered, I know
that we keep them in mind while we're working on the specifications
because they have such a strict code of conduct around acceptable
software, they're sort of our litmus test for requirements.  If they'd
still be able to register with all P1s implemented, that should mean
we're still meeting our goal of defining an open and reasonable standard
for the community.

> some like the half-commercial SUSE CGL seems to be dead, too and
> Motorola HA-Linux seems to not have seen any updates.

I don't know about Motorola HA-Linux, but hopefully Matthias can say
some nice things about the CGL response to the initial SUSE registration
(the follow-up on list looked pretty positive to me) and how we really
do want to work with non-registered distributions to get them registered
and presented in a way that's easy for folks like Shiva to make the best
possible decision for them.