Info on open source CGL4.0

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 07:52:36PM +0530, Shiva Kumar Yenigalla wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for CGL (carrier grade linux) which compliant to CGL-4.0
> specification for one of the ATCA based carrier grade system. Right now,
> i am evaluating COTS packages from montavista and Windriver. But, i want
> to consider the open source option also as part of my evaluation
> process. Please let me know, if there is a open source distribution for
> CGL.

Note that CGL is a specification that implementations aren't
necessarily "compliant" or "certified" against.  Instead you
"register" against the CGL, and all that means is documenting what
parts of the CGL your particular distribution provides or doesn't
provide.

Anyone can do it, but it's simply a matter of someone caring enough to
go through the CGL specification and saying, "we do this", "we don't
do this", etc.  If you want a product to become be listed, you need to
ask their technical sales folk to do this work and then submit the
results to the web page.  If you want a community distribution to be
registered, it means asking a volunteer to do this work, or becoming
the volunteer and doing the work yourself.

Note that the a number of the things that have been requested by the
CGL specifications have found their way into the upstream versions of
the kernel and other OSS components, so pretty much any modern Linux
distribution have these features.

Things have a gone a long way from when a embedded Linux distribution
might have proprietary kernel patches to provide certain CGL features
that were never pushed upstream, and where the patches were only made
available to their customers in compliance with the GPL, but otherwise
weren't made available to the community in any other way.

Regards,

	     	       	      		- Ted

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [Asterisk PBX]