Runtime software modification method used on COTS system for high-availability network service

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 04:23:29PM +0200, Guillaume FORTAINE wrote:
> Yes, of course. However, I didn't check the various flame wars around it :
>
> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.kernel.carrier-grade/2005-03/msg00025.html

Actually, most of that thread gives a pretty balanced view of the plus
and minus's of run-time patching.  I have certainly heard the argument
that given modern HA practices where a switch is typically no longer
composed of one or two monolithic huge computers, but rather where you
have a load balancer and multiple machines, that run-time patching is
not worth the complexity and risk; better to use an architecture where
there are multiple systems in a scale-out configuration, and you
simply update the kernel and reboot them one at a time.  Others think
that run-time patching is still quite important.  Your Mileage May Very.

> > http://web.mit.edu/ksplice/
> >
> Ok. I was aware of it. Do You plan any PPC Port ?

Not my project.  You can contact the developers of ksplice (contact
e-mails are located on the web pages); I'd be a bit surprised if they
were going to do it for you free of charge.  On the other hand,
perhaps they might be willing to take on a consulting contract, or
recommend to you someone who is willing to do it on a contracting
basis.  Or, of course, you could do it yourself, in the traditional
Open Source model of "scratching your own itch".

						- Ted

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux ARM (vger)]     [Linux ARM MSM]     [Linux Omap]     [Linux Arm]     [Linux Tegra]     [Fedora ARM]     [Linux for Samsung SOC]     [eCos]     [Linux Fastboot]     [Gcc Help]     [Git]     [DCCP]     [IETF Announce]     [Security]     [Linux MIPS]     [Yosemite Campsites]     [Asterisk PBX]