[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 09:12 +0200, Carlos Manuel Duclos Vergara wrote:

> On Thursday 17 April 2008 19:29:36 Dan Kohn wrote:
> > So, just to update the original proposal, we're talking about an "LSB
> > 3.2 CGL Profile" that is the same as LSB 3.2 except that it doesn't
> > include the X, GTK, qt, or CUPS libraries.  A distro can only qualify
> > for the CGL profile if they ship neither GTK nor qt as part of their
> > standard install.
> >
> > Current 3.2 libraries are listed here:
> > https://www.linux-foundation.org/navigator/browse/library.php?changever=3.2&changearch=1
> >
> > Based on this definition of the CGL profile being a strict subset of
> > LSB 3.2, any application that was certified to the LSB CGL 3.2 profile
> > would also be certified to LSB 3.2.
> >

> What would be the target public of this standard?

The target public would be, if I understand the question correctly,
network equipment providers.  Off the top of my head, I can point to the
SCOPE Alliance as a potential list of both hardware and software vendors
who would potentially be interested in knowing this information about a
particular distribution.

> How many distributions fall into this classification?

Currently, I would guess at 3-4, depending on how you count.  Obviously
Wind River and MontaVista are there since we are both active
participants in the CGL working group.  Performance Technologies is now
registered against the CGL 4.0 registration, so that makes three.  I'm
guessing that having this might have some interest to RedHat as well
since they're SCOPE sponsors, but that's just a guess.

Potential newcomers might be Asianux, since they had a 3.2 registration,
and possibly Debian, Timesys and SuSE since they all had 2.0
registrations, I've got no insight into what those distributions /
organizations would want.

Joe MacDonald, Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct 613.270.5750  mobile 613.291.7421  fax 613.592.2283