[lsb-discuss] LSB 3.2 Embedded Profile

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 05:49 -0700, Wichmann, Mats D wrote:

> Tech stuff:
>
> It's part of the way there now:  you can currently choose between
> "Core & C++" and "Core & C++ & Desktop" on some of the tests; you
> cannot, however, make this choice overall. Making the choice
> overall should eliminate the Desktop, Desktop-T2C, and X11 tests.

My only question / comment here is what does this mean in terms of
actual certification of the platform?  Even if you could set "Core & C
++" for the entire test suite, wouldn't it still be necessary to qualify
the eventual certification of the distribution?  From a technical point
of view, I'm all for this option as the way the profiles are implemented
if that makes everyone's life easier, but from an administrative point
of view I'm thinking it's a sub-optimal solution for everyone if there
aren't distinct profiles.

> We have three things now that don't naturally fit one place or
> the other: Perl, Python and Printing (each of these have a test
> suite which is run in a full certification run currently).

I would suggest Perl and Python are something that if they're not
already essential to a well-configured carrier grade system, they will
be in the next few years.  So where do they belong?  Not sure in
general, but I would say it makes sense for them to be included in the
Carrier profile, whatever we call it.

Printing is a different kettle of fish and I would say it probably isn't
required for a piece of carrier equipment.  It's been quite a while
since I worked in any environment where system logs were handled by
reams of paper.  :-)

Joe MacDonald, Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct 613.270.5750  mobile 613.291.7421  fax 613.592.2283