Re: [RFC Patch net-next] net_sched: introduce eBPF based Qdisc

On Fri, Sep 03, 2021 at 04:44:04PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Martin KaFai Lau <kafai@xxxxxx> writes:

> > Instead of bpftool can only introspect bpf qdisc and the existing tc
> > can only introspect kernel qdisc,  it will be nice to have bpf
> > qdisc work as other qdisc and showing details together with others
> > in tc.  e.g. a bpf qdisc export its data/stats with its btf-id
> > to tc and have tc print it out in a generic way?
>
> I'm not opposed to the idea, certainly. I just wonder if people who go
> to the trouble of writing a custom qdisc in BPF will feel it's worth it
> to do the extra work to make this available via a second API. We could
> certainly encourage it, and some things are easy (drop and pkt counters,
> etc), but other things (like class stats) will depend on the semantics
> of the qdisc being implemented, so will require extra work from the BPF
> qdisc developer...
Right, different qdisc has different stats, I think it is currently
stored in qdisc_priv()?  When a qdisc is created, a separate priv is
created together.

Yes, the bpf qdisc prog can store its stats to a bpf map, but then when the
same prog attached to different qdiscs, it has to create different stats maps?

Also, instead of ->enqueue() itself is a bpf prog,
having an ->enqueue() preparing a bpf ctx (zeroing, assigning...etc) and
then make another call to a bpf prog will all add some costs.

That said, I still think it needs a bpf skb map that can queue/dequeue
skb first.  Then it will become possible to prototype different interface
ideas.