Re: Unsupported CONFIG_FPROBE and CONFIG_RETHOOK on ARM64

On Tue, Sep 10, 2024 at 11:54 AM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2024 11:23:29 -0700
> Andrii Nakryiko <andrii.nakryiko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Does Linus have to be in CC to get any reply here? Come on, it's been
> > almost a full week.
>
> Just FYI, an email like this does piss people off. You are getting upset
> for waiting "almost a full week"? A full week is what we tell people to

A full week to get a response to a question? Yes, I find it way too
long. I didn't ask for some complicated code review, did I? I don't
know who "we" are and where "we" tell people, but I disagree that one
week is acceptable latency to coordinate stuff like this across
multiple subsystems.

I understand that life happens, and sometimes times are busier than
normal, but then a quick reply along the lines "sorry, busy, will get
back later" would be nice and completely normal, and I don't think
it's too much to ask.

And having said that, there were replies to other emails on the
mailing list from you and Masami, and even reviews for patches that
were posted way after my email. So I do believe that everyone is busy,
but I don't buy not having time to write a quick reply.

> wait if they don't get a response. And your email was directed to multiple
> people. Then pointing out myself and Masami because we didn't respond? We
> are not arm64 maintainers, and that email looked more directed at them.

"pointing out"? You and Masami are maintainers of linux-trace tree,
and rethook is part of that. Masami's original code was the one in
question and I did expect a rather quick reply from him. If not
Masami, then you would have a context as well. Who else should I be
asking?

If ARM64 folks somehow have more context, it wouldn't be that hard to
mention and redirect, instead of ghosting my email.

> Funny part is, I was just about to start reviewing Masami's fprobe patches
> when I read this. Now I feel reluctant to. I'll do it anyway because they
> are Masami's patches, but if they were yours, I would have pushed it off a
> week or two with that attitude.

(I'll ignore all the personal stuff)

You are probably talking about [0]. But I was asking about [1], i.e.,
adding HAVE_RETHOOK support to ARM64. Despite all your emotions above,
can I still get a meaningful answer as for why that wasn't landed and
what prevents it from landing right now before Masami's 20-patch
series lands?

  [0] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-trace-kernel/172398527264.293426.2050093948411376857.stgit@devnote2/
  [1] https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/164338038439.2429999.17564843625400931820.stgit@devnote2/