Re: bpf selftest pyperf180.c compilation failure with latest last llvm18 (in development)

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 6:13 PM Eduard Zingerman <eddyz87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-10-30 at 20:58 -0700, Yonghong Song wrote:
> > With latest llvm18 (main branch of llvm-project repo), when building bpf selftests,
> >     [~/work/bpf-next (master)]$ make -C tools/testing/selftests/bpf LLVM=1 -j
> >
> > The following compilation error happens:
> >     fatal error: error in backend: Branch target out of insn range
> >     PLEASE submit a bug report to https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/ and include the crash backtrace, preprocessed source, and associated run script.
> >     Stack dump:
> >     0.      Program arguments: clang -g -Wall -Werror -D__TARGET_ARCH_x86 -mlittle-endian -I/home/yhs/work/bpf-next/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/tools/include -I/home/yhs
> >     /work/bpf-next/tools/testing/selftests/bpf -I/home/yhs/work/bpf-next/tools/include/uapi -I/home/yhs/work/bpf-next/tools/testing/selftests/usr/include -idirafter /hom
> >     e/yhs/work/llvm-project/llvm/build.18/install/lib/clang/18/include -idirafter /usr/local/include -idirafter /usr/include -Wno-compare-distinct-pointer-types -DENABLE
> >     _ATOMICS_TESTS -O2 --target=bpf -c progs/pyperf180.c -mcpu=v3 -o /home/yhs/work/bpf-next/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/pyperf180.bpf.o
> >     1.      <eof> parser at end of file
> >     2.      Code generation
> >
> > The compilation failure only happens to cpu=v2 and cpu=v3. cpu=v4 is okay
> > since cpu=v4 supports 32-bit branch target offset.
> >
> > The above failure is due to upstream llvm patch
> >     https://reviews.llvm.org/D143624
> > where some inlining ordering are changed in the compiler.
>
> Hi Yonghong, Alexei,
>
> This is a followup for the off-list discussion. I think I have a
> relatively simple two pass algorithm that allows to replace jumps
> longer than 2**16 by series of shorter jumps using "trampoline"
> goto instructions.
>
> The basic idea of the algorithm is to:
> - Visit basic blocks sequentially from first to last (after LLVM is
>   done with figuring BB ordering), effectively splitting basic blocks
>   in two parts: "processed" and "unexplored".
> - Insert "trampoline" jumps only at "unexplored" side, thus
>   guaranteeing that distances between basic blocks on "processed" side
>   never change.
> - Maintain the list of "pending jumps":
>   - Whenever a basic block is picked from "unexplored" side
>     information about edges coming to and from this basic block is
>     added as pending jumps:
>     - backward edges are added before basic block is processed;
>     - forward edges are added after basic block is processed.
>   - Pending jump is a tuple (off,src,dst,backedge):
>     - 'src', 'dst' - basic blocks (swapped for backedges);
>     - 'off' - current distance from 'src'.
> - When a basic block is picked from "unexplored" side:
>   - discard all pending jumps that have this basic block as 'dst';
>   - peek a pending jump for which jmp.off + bb.size > MAX_JUMP_DISTANCE;
>   - if such jump is present:
>     - split basic block;
>     - insert trampoline instruction;
> [...]

The algorithm doesn't look simple.
Even if we change llvm to do this, it's not clear whether
the verifier will be able to consume such code.
imo it's too much effort to address a non-issue.
I'd just adjust the pyperf180.c test.