"unable to install hw params" to bluetooth (SCO) headset (was: btusb+sco failing to play sound through Jabra BT500v headset)

also sprach Marcel Holtmann <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2008.08.26.1819 +0100]:
> don't use headsetd. Use the audio stuff that comes with bluez-utils.

So I am trying, and I got a little further, installing the right
lines into .asoundrc as per
http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices. I have gotten beyond
issues of

  bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
  aplay: main:564: audio open error: Connection refused

but it still doesn't want to work. If I execute

  arecord -D bt500v -f S16_LE | aplay -D bt500v -f S16_LE

then the headset makes a noise, the bluetooth LED flashes and
arecord prints

  Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono

But then after about 30 or 40 seconds, it all fails:

  ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:464:(bluetooth_hsp_hw_params) BT_SETCONFIGURATION failed : Input/output error(5)
  arecord: set_params:979: Unable to install hw params:
  ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
  FORMAT:  S16_LE
  SUBFORMAT:  STD
  SAMPLE_BITS: 16
  FRAME_BITS: 16
  CHANNELS: 1
  RATE: 8000
  PERIOD_TIME: 125000
  PERIOD_SIZE: 1000
  PERIOD_BYTES: 2000
  PERIODS: 4
  BUFFER_TIME: 500000
  BUFFER_SIZE: 4000
  BUFFER_BYTES: 8000
  TICK_TIME: [0 0]
  aplay: playback:2019: read error

I have bluez-audio installed, but /etc/bluetooth/audio.conf is
default. No PulseAudio or anything other than plain ALSA here...

Any clues?

"alas, i am dying beyond my means."
                                                        -- oscar wilde

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx